Saturday, March 6, 2010

Our "Tight Knit" Family

This is my 100th post! 100 posts ago, I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I thought a blog might be a fun way to connect with people who share my interests and world-view -- a hard thing to find in the real world where I live. You've all become a huge blessing to me as you skim my rambling thoughts. So in honor of post #100, I'd like to summarize (in no particular order):

**takes a deep breath**

Sewed a lot of clothes, trained as a volunteer at New Salem, student taught, graduated from college, hubby ran the Chicago Marathon, we went to Liberia in Africa, sponsored a Liberian child, cooked a lot of yummy food, finally mastered baking bread, went on a spontaneous trip to Florida, learned phonics, moved, gardened on my balcony, tried to write essays about faith, AND even shared som sorrows.


I'm stilly "humbly beginning" this whole homemaking journey. I'm not sure what comes next but I am certain it will be interesting!

But the real reason I wanted to post today: I want to introduce you to our new family. No... we're not pregnant. Not yet. But our house is becoming packed full of little ones: Little knit teddy bears!

This project all started when we got back from Liberia and I cleaned out my craft closet. My yarn stash was more than a little overwhelming -- more than a full trash bag, which is a lot since I don't really work with yarn that often. I wanted to find a charity I could craft for to a) fill my time at home and b) not spend money. After several days of rejecting chemo caps and prayer shawls (a valuable service, but not my calling), I stumbled upon this:



They're so easy to knit up while I'm lost in Jane Austen movies most afternoons. I'm working on my fourth bear so far. Even Shaune's getting in on the fun! I love my husband so much for things just like this. He's so manly when he needs to be, but loves to curl up with me in the evenings to drink tea and knit. Of course, on those nights, he gets to choose the movie. ***sigh*** I just can't claim to be a fan of Conan the Barbarian. But isn't he cute?!

5 comments:

Mrs. G said...

lol, what a sweet post! I love your idea about the knitted bears and I'm happy to have "met" you via your blog. Your post about the school situation in Liberia was thought provoking, I'm mused on it quite a bit since I read it.
Mrs. G

Emily said...

Well, I'm glad you started blogging, Jenny. It's been nice to 'meet' you.

Shaune actually knits? Anthony keeps asking over and over what the difference is between knit and crochet (I am doing both daily right now). It seems obvious to me but he keeps professing confusion.

I wanted to tell you that I loved the knitted pistol link you sent me. Anthony thought it was a funny idea, but not exactly what he wants. :) However, I think it would be adorable for a toddler boy. If we have a boy I want to make him one. My brothers were seldom seen without a toy gun of some sort strapped to their person as kids, and I have a feeling any son of mine will be the same. The knitted one is cute for a little guy and would likely be a little less controversial to carry in public. I never knew such a pattern existed. So thanks for showing me!

Jena Webber said...

I don't know what is more darling--the knit bears or the fact that you and hubby do it together. I'm grinning ear to ear. Sweetness!

Sarah said...

How totally CUTE! The little bears are wonderful, and it is so sweet your husband likes to work with you and drink tea - how many guys would do that?! :) (David would drink the tea, but not knit) :)

It has been fabulous having you as a blog neighbor and getting to you know you through your posts - congrats on your 100th one! You have such a love for the Lord and it really shows in everything you post about. You have been a real blessing and encouragement to me throughout all you have talked about here.

Jenny P. said...

Thank you all! I'm so glad that even a tiny bit of what I ramble comes across as encouraging!

Mrs. G: It's an interesting situation. If you want more information, I'd love to chat with you.

Emily: Shaune TOTALLY knits. He found some article somewhere that talked about how knitting used to be a man's art. I have no idea if it's accurate or not, but it convinced him. I can't wait to see if you make that gun! Perhaps this baby will be a boy and you'll have a chance!

OM and Sarah Jane: Glad to make you smile!