- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (or a little more... these were very tangy)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- A generous sprinkle of ground flax seed (optional; I add this to almost everything)
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- The juice of one navel orange
- The pulp from one navel orange, in small chunks
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of roughly chopped fresh/frozen cranberries (adjust according to what you have or prefer)
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure to stir well to get well mixed. Combine all the wet ingredients (egg, milk, oil, orange juice). Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the fruit. Bake in a 400* oven for at LEAST 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. These have more moisture than the basic muffin mix so expect them to take 5-10 minutes longer than your regular muffins.
I think this recipe would also be wonderful with some chopped walnuts or pecans in it... but I didn't have any when I was mixing!
Please let me know if you try these, how they turn out. I'm especially interested to hear if you modify them to fit your own tastes! I love hearing ideas to incorporate into my own kitchen.