Friday, October 30, 2009

Green & White Pizza

I wanted to share with you a special treat that my husband and I enjoy with our dear friends on a regular basis. I got this recipe from Amanda (thank you, dear!) and haven't even tweaked it! We each have our own favorite crust recipe though, so mine tastes a tiny bit different.



This pizza is a bit more expensive than what I typically spend, but it is SO worth it!



Green and White Pizza
  • Your favorite crust recipe, preferably one with olive oil

  • corn meal to dust the pan

  • one packet Korr's basil pesto mix

  • a good handful of shredded spinach

  • feta cheese

  • mozzarella cheese

  • 1/2 to 1 can of chicken (depending on how much you want)

Dust the pan with cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking. Stretch the crust to the pan. It should be fairly thick. Know that it will rise a good bit -- these toppings don't weigh it down the same way that lots of cheese and meat does. Cook up the sauce according to packaged directions, then coat the crust. Cover the pesto with the shredded spinach. I like to use LOTS! It's my favorite veggie.

Once you have your "green" layers, you have to add your white: just a few crumbles of feta around the pizza and a sprinkle of mozzarella. I don't use much since they're both such flavorful cheeses. Then, I crumble the canned chicken over the top and stick it in the oven for about 25 minutes at 375. You can adjust that to however your family likes it -- other than the crust, everything is already cooked or doesn't need to be.

This twist on pizza is SOOO good! I'd cook it more often if feta wasn't so expensive. But I'm not aware of an equally fabulous alternative, so I wait until it goes on sale. Aldi often has it for right about $2 for 4oz, not bad at all in the world of cheese.

*****

Do your families have a favorite pizza recipe? I'd love to hear about it! We're always trying something new. Some weeks it feels like pizza is a food group in our home!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This sounds delicious! I'd try it today for lunch but alas, do not have all the ingredients on hand. I'll have to pick some up next time I go grocery shopping.

We have pizza on a routine basis too. Today we are having bbq chicken pizza which is one of our favorites. Terribly easy, and a nice alternative to just having bbq chicken with a side dish. I make regular pizza dough (olive oil, water, yeast, flour, salt) and when I knead it I knead in as much cornmeal as the dough will take. Let it rise, roll/stretch it out to fit a pizza pan. I reserve some of the dough for breadsticks. Use bbq sauce (we use Sweet Baby Rays) to cover the dough as you would with pizza sauce. Over that sprinkle shredded cooked chicken that has been mixed with a small amount of bbq sauce. Sometimes we have added chopped sauteed mushrooms. Cover with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake til lightly browned and bubbly. :) We are having this today because chicken is all we have in the house!

I love pizza, you can get so creative with it!