Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Project Completion

As I've been unwell this weekend, I decided to use my down-time productively. I wanted to complete some of the many projects that have been sitting around my house in various stages of done for months and months.
First, a new video game pillow for my husband. He doesn't play very often, but when he does he sprawls out all over the floor. This used to be a t-shirt of his that I wouldn't let him wear because it was ridiculously large. Now, it's a soft and lumpy pillow, just the way he likes it.




Second, the flannel pjs that were supposed to be a Christmas gift this past year. I had the best intentions of hand-sewing them while we were driving on our honeymoon. The shorts for Shaune were completed except for the waist casing on the trip, but I never had time to return to the project. That, and my hand sewing isn't as secure or reliable as I'd like. So, everything else (my dress, shorts, and finishing his) were finished by machine in only an hour or so this morning. Machine sewing is much faster as well as stronger! (At least, mine. I have great envy of those of you who can hand sew well).

This apron was ALMOST finished several weeks ago, and I've been using it. Today I went back and added the buttons on the top. This apron was originally the ugliest men's shirt I've ever seen. My sister-in-law gave it to us in a bag of clothing her husband had outgrown. Shaune refused to wear it so I repurposed it. The back pleat is in the center front, the buttons are now decoration, the sleeves became the ties (which is why they're a little short). The binding came from my stash -- it was a dress when I was about 12. I still may add a pocket, but I've never actually had an apron with one. I'm not sure what they're for. To make this, I used this article here. I wish I had more information on where the article came from. If you know what year it is from, approx., can you tell me?


Finally, this project is so close to done I'm counting it, although I technically still have a little work left. I plan on finishing it for real this evening. But first, a little background: Two years ago, for my Junior year of college, I lived in the best apartment ever. We were three homey, Christian girls who had a very set routine: every Friday evening when Bec got off work, we'd curl up on the couch with pizzas, homemade cookies, a glass of Arbor Mist, and craft projects. We'd watch TLC's "What Not to Wear," followed by some kind of girly movie (most often, Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson). Sometimes our boyfriends (now husbands!) would join us as well. We're still the best of friends and get together as often as we can; but marriage and jobs and living far apart has a tendancy to change things.
This afghan was my craft project during those beloved evenings. It then got shuffled away during moving and marriage, and I pulled it out about a month ago to complete. It is much larger than I thought when I originally laid it out. I love it! I can't wait to give it away as a present to someone!

So, in the midst of sickness and heartache, I got a lot done. It helps me. I've never been one to sit around and wait. Things are returning to "normal" over the next few days. Thank you all so much for your continued prayers and support -- it means the world to me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am amazed at how much you accomplished! Everything looks great. Your afghan is beautiful too! What a lovely pattern. Is it knit or crochet?

Will continue to keep you in my prayers. I know this cannot be an easy time for you but Praise God for His peace that passeth all understanding. How wonderful to be His child!

Gillian said...

Wow, you got a lot done! The pillow is great, and I love the afghan! What pretty colours... and the pattern is really striking :)

Still praying, Jenny.

Jenny P. said...

Thank you both! The afghan is crochet -- all double stitch the whole way up. I found the ripple directions but I played with the colors myself, making the pattern as I went. I love to crochet, but I think I'll choose a little less ambitious project next time.