Saturday, December 13, 2008

Candy Creations

Yesterday I mentioned the Christmas party that my husband and I are throwing this evening. I'm very excited about this because we've only been married since August. We've had people stop in to visit, but haven't had an "event" yet. So I've been in a tizzy all week getting ready. I wanted to show off these adorable candies that we made this morning. The recipe is from the American Girl winter ideas book. When I was student teaching this semester, one of the girls brought it in and showed me this special treat. I finally got an opportunity to try it out:

Basically, the recipe makes a white sugar "play-doh" that you can shape and flavor however you want. These little snow men are cinnamon flavored (with pink scarves) and spearmint flavored (green scarves). The recipe is as follows:

1tbsp soft butter
1tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp candy oil flavoring
1/2 tsp salt
1c powdered sugar
Sprinkles to decorate
Food Coloring

Knead ingredients together and have fun! I colored with regular drop colors, but my mom the candy maker assures me that gel colors would work better. If the dough gets too try, add just a tiny bit of water but be careful! 1 drop goes a long way. Water also helps the little pieces stick onto the base shape.

This project was kind of a mess but it was so much fun! I think this would be great with kids -- especially if you don't mind crazy shapes and half of it getting eaten along the way. My husband and I couldn't stop laughing because the mint ones looked so much like round, white ducks instead of snowmen (before we reshaped them).

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

No comments: