Thursday, October 13, 2011

Color Play

I've entered a brave new world in knitting: playing with color. Is it sad that in the many years I've been knitting, I can honestly say I've NEVER knit with more than one color at a time? The only 2-color project I made I knit in strips then sewed together. Definately time to build on my repitoire. And hey! Now I have a darling little Someone to knit for.



I started simple... on the wool soaker, I just held 2 strands of yarn together, and played with how I held them together. It made a difference (lol, surprise). I swapped yarn halfway down on the skirty.



Then I checked a great book out from the library and got brave... I tried the stranding, or Faire Isle, technique! I'm actually surprised at how well it turned out. I only had to rip out about 3 stitches when I caught myself following the wrong line on the chart. These are wool longies for Gracie's diapering, too.




Now I'm working on bubbles, another technique I've always been too afraid to try. I don't know why... it's actually quite simple when you've got clear directions. This is a cotton washcloth for the kitchen... my go-to project when I'm intimidated by a technique. Washcloths are how I taught myself... well.. pretty much everything. Scarves take too long :D




I don't know what I'm going to knit next, but I do know one thing! It will be colorful!

4 comments:

Serena said...

The Fair Isle longies are too cute!

Amy said...

That's fantastic! I've picked up crocheting again. Knitting and I...well, we don't get along too well. But now that me and yarn have come to a more loving stage in our relationship, maybe I'll give it another go sometime. Right now, I'm happily crocheting a baby blanket for practice. With sewing, I used to love seeing a big piece of fabric turn into an outfit. Now I'm tickled at seeing strands of fiber turn into fabric! :)

It's an easy hobby, at least. I can pick it up and put it down at a moment's notice -- and since I have exactly 15 minutes out of the whole day to myself, that flexibility is so worth it!

Gillian said...

They all look so great! I love the soaker and the colourwork on the longies is lovely. Very even! I can't wait to see what you come up with next :-)

Jenny P. said...

Thanks Serena!

Amy, that's why I love knitting - if I've got 5 minutes, I'm working on something. And honestly, I really don't like crochet - I can't keep my stitch count right! I'm way better at not dropping stitches while knitting than trying to make sure I get one stitch in each one stitch of the row before! My only crochet blanket was so wonky...

Gillian, I'm glad you think they look great. Your knitting always inspires me so much :) One of these days I'll tackle a crazy awesome project like you make.