Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Springtime... and Busyness!

I've not hardly used the computer in over a week! Part of that has been forgetfulness (it's so easy to sit on the porch with a novel and a cup of tea when it's 75 and lovely), part of that has been busyness that has taken over my life. I'm 6 weeks from finishing classes! I can't wait. This is the last term of text books, lectures, tests, etc. Next term I will be a supervised teacher -- after that, a liscensed one! I will have achieved my goal, honored my parents, and be free to move on with my life.

Busyness has a certain joy.I love to have tasks in front of me. I've started my little garden on the porch. I've completed a painting and a dress; met family commitments; completed homework I'd been putting off; even had a "Date Night" with my husband when a dear friend passed along two tickets to the Broadway musical "Hairspray" that she and her husband were unable to use. I feel like I have a purpose when I am busy.

At the same time, important things that can only accompany an idle schedule have slipped away. I've found my prayer time becoming shorter and shorter, while my task list rumbles away in my head. My "still time" with my husband, where there is nothing to do and no desire to do anything other than sit on the couch and gab has vanished. Productivity has taken the place of peace.

I've been reminding myself to pause and reflect on these early days of springtime. There will only be one March 18th this year -- only one Wednesday in mid-March when the sun rose just as I was kissing my husband good-bye for work, when I was able to have a leisurely breakfast in the sunlight, when no pressing demands need my attention until noon. I encourage each of you to take even just a minute today to appreciate what a gift today is!

No comments: